Sunday, December 12, 2010

Early Learning activities with milk bottle tops

Zari (age 3 and 1 month)

Activity 1....sorting lids into colours.
I placed one lid of each colour in each container (segment). She started off well, and did the task correctly, but her concentration lapsed after a while. Then she started getting confused and putting different colours onto the same dish. So then we started activity 2.








Activity 2....Copying a red and green pattern
Using a hot pink background was not the brightest idea for this pattern. Red in particular does not stand out against this bright pinky-red background.
I have suspected for a while Zari may have some red-green colourblindness. My brother is colour blind, in every single way that a person can be colourblind, so although I am not colourblind it isnt surprising to have a child with red-green differentiation problems. Strangely, I never noticed my son having any colour vision problems and so presumed I was not a carrier for this condition.
We had a lot of difficulties with this pattern. She could not get the red-green-red-green sequence, but more from trouble differentiating between the lids, as to her the colours were too similar. I have tested her on other red and green objects, and she calls green things red, and red things green. Reminds me of my brother all over again. I had to help her a lot with this activity, as she was genuinely confused by my correcting her. From now on, I will chose really contrasting colours- and backgrounds.




Activity 3...All one colour followed by all another colour pattern
This was more successful, although she used the activity to make a balloon picture. Note again, the red/green problem. She really struggles with those colours.



Activity 4...Trying to make the letter "S"  
And not succeeding. I drew out the top half of the 's' shape with the white milk bottle tops, then placed some tops around the bottom half hoping she would fill in the gaps. Not so - although she can draw an 's' from memory on paper, she told me she did not understand what I wanted and didn't know how to do it. I drew the pattern with my finger, but to no avail. And that was the end of that. She left the room and refused to be lured back.





Rori (17.5 months)
After Zari walked out on the activities, Rori came in so I attempted to show her some things to do. Too young. She picked up the lids, piled them up and played with them. The best I could hope for was when I asked her to pack them up, and she copied me by putting some lids into a pillowcase.





1 comment:

Bri Sin said...

Awesome! i just started saving caps so that I can make some spelling games with them. I was starting to wonder what I could with leftovers. Thanks for the idea.